Friday, June 3, 2011

Up Close & Personal with Author - Talia Jager


Where do you call home? We moved to the Houston, TX area a few years ago. My husband is from this area, so he’s very happy to be home. I’m from NY and it’s taken a while to get used to it here, but I like it.

What is your book about? I have four eBooks out. Three are dramas and one is a paranormal. The paranormal, The Ultimate Sacrifice, is about a group of teens with special gifts that live at a boarding school. When one of them gets attacked, the main character uses her gift on the attackers, and ends up unleashing a series of events that she has no control over.

Damaged: Natalie’s Story is my most emotional story. It’s about a teen girl who is abused by her boyfriend. It follows her struggles even after the relationship falls apart.

If I Die Young and Teagan’s Story are both teen medical dramas. The first is about a girl who needs a heart transplant and the second is about a girl with epilepsy.

If you gave some of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say? They’d probably say? “Enough with the drama!!”

Do you have plans for a new book? Yes, I’m already working on one (a vampire story) and have two others already started (a sequel to The Ultimate Sacrifice and an edgy drama about foster homes, addictions, and pregnancy).

What inspired you to write your book? I write because I love to write. I make up these characters in my head and then they want their stories written down. Author wise, Lurlene McDaniel and V.C. Andrews inspired me as a teen. I didn’t really think about publishing until Stephenie Meyer. I figured if she could do it as a mom, so could I. I started writing again and here I am.

Would you like to be contacted by readers to do book reviews? Yes! I sure would!

How did you come up with the title and cover design? Titles are hard for me. It’s like trying to sum up a whole book into a couple of words. Sometimes they just kind of come to me, other times, I really struggle with it. With the covers, I had a few ideas that I told to my designer and he would try to help them come alive.

Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life? Sometimes I take a quirk from someone I know or an event that happened, but I always turn it into something unique to the character.

What books have most influenced your writing most and why? When I was a teen, I read a lot of Lurlene McDaniel’s books. She wrote teen medical dramas. I wanted to expand on that and write about teens in difficult positions as well as explore other medical conditions.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet? I’d like to meet many different authors including Cassandra Clare, Alyson Noel, Stephenie Meyer, and Lurlene McDaniel.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcovers? All of them! I love having a hardcover of a book that I love. But, they are heavy. I like reading paperbacks. I love the smell of both a hardcover and a paperback. However, I recently got a Kindle and I absolutely love it. I have a ton of books on hand all the time. I stick in my purse and carry it around with me. Wherever I am, I can choose from a variety of things to read. Plus I can download samples to see if I’ll like a book. I have discovered a bunch of indie writers I never would have without my Kindle. If I read something on it that I love, I will buy the print version to keep on my shelves.

Patti: OH YEAH. I LOVE MY KINDLE!

Have you ever read a book more than once? Many, many times. If a book is awesome, I will read it again and again.

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version? I can’t think of a movie that I thought was better than the book. But, I do like the TV show, The Vampire Diaries, more than the books.

Patti: I'm a Vampire Diaries fan too - Damon :)

What book are you currently reading? Just started Unearthly.

What book do you know that you will never read? I can’t think of one I would say with any amount of certainty I wouldn’t read, but I’m not interested in most non-fiction books or horror. It took me forever to get into the vampire books, because to me, vampires were scary and I didn’t want to read about them. Finally, one friend convinced me that they weren’t scary and another friend sent me her books to read. I was hooked.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest and why? Cassandra Clare. Her books are full of a variety of things. She keeps my attention. I also just read a book by Holly Hook called Tempest. It was a very unique book and I hope she writes something else that grabs my attention the way Tempest did.

Is there anything you would change in your last book and why? I’d make it longer. That’s the biggest “complaint” I’ve gotten – that it was too short. So, I’d work on making it longer without feeling like I was filling it with fluff.

Who designed the cover of your book? Streetlight Graphics http://streetlightgraphics.com Glendon did all four of my covers and I absolutely LOVE his work!

Do you have a book trailer? No, I haven’t done one of these yet.

Do you have any advice for other writers? I tell people three things. Write as much as you can, as often as you can. Write for yourself, not anybody else. Believe in yourself and never give up.

Patti: Great advice :)

Where can your readers follow you? My blog: http://taliajager.blogspot.com

My book's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/taliajager

My Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4161740.Talia_Jager

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/taliajager


Follow this blog to keep up with Authors updates and promotions.

Patti Roberts - Supporting Authors.

Thank you for dropping by, please leave a comment and say Hi.


Paradox - The Angels Are Here.

Book trailer Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IovcxyZTFuU

facebook - http://tinyurl.com/3woe84l

twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/PattiRoberts7

blog - http://theangelsarehere.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...