Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Interview with G.W. Jefferies - Author of the book Apolo Drakuvich

Book Category/Genre:  Dystopian Fiction, Contemporary Fiction



 
Tell us what the book is about:
Apolo Drakuvich presents a life of regret in epic proportions. Apolo sadly examines the events and decisions of his life, and the paths he took and should have taken. Apolo seeks peace of mind and justice, but flashbacks of his past continuously haunt him; moreover, he seems to be victimized by a corrupt justice system everywhere he goes.

From being called "dork" and bullied by "Cocaine Shane" during his school days, Apolo goes through a number of life changing events. One of the most defining moments of the book, peering deeply into his character, is the scene in which Apolo states, "I wasn't always like this. I'm a hardened, thicker skin, arrogant fool. Like all of us, past events have shaped me into the person I'm today. But I've gone through so much crap. This environment has changed me. The people. The stupidity."


What is special about the main character?
Apolo Drakuvich is an anti-hero.  He’s a person with a struggling value system and he is trying to make things right.  Whether or not that is that actual right thing to do is up to the reader but Apolo tries to make things right the only way he knows how.  He’s bad but there are people far worse than he is.


What conflicts drive the story?
There is a strong inner conflict that Apolo deals with for the entire story.  He’s a small time criminal but the pressure from society has turned him into something worse.  Drakuvich can’t stand the daily life of San Pinto.  Political corruption and a parasitic media only make things poorer for Apolo. 


What would you say the theme of the book is?  Apolo Drakuvich discusses pertinent issues of today's society, where it is next to impossible for offenders to live normal lives, despite the desire to do so.

Who would be most interested in this novel?
I think anyone who is interested in criminal justice or the law would like to read this book.  It is an important story that anyone can read and get something from.  Even though Apolo is a criminal, a lot of people can relate to this character in some way.


What prompted you to write the book?
It is an important story that had to be told and Apolo Drakuvich is a work of fiction.  This story talks about a slippery slope and the treatment of criminals needs to be reexamined.  There has to be a balance of proper justice and punishment.  The punishment must fit the crime.  Lifetime registration…lifetime harassment does not help anyone, especially if it is a small crime.

Are you a self published (Indie) Author?
I am an indie author and proud of it.
When you write, how does it make you feel?
I love telling stories and  I put a lot of energy into what I write.  All of my emotions and feelings go into my works and I don’t care how small or large the project is; I put all of my efforts into it.  I want both the reader and myself to be satisfied with my writing. I like to experiment with my writing.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.  I just keep moving forward and try to tell a great story.



What authors inspire you?  Whose books can’t you put down?
I’m a hug fan of Hunter S. Thompson and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is one of my favorite books.  I really dig his style and I love the blending of truth and fiction.  Thompson lived a remarkable and crazy life.  It’s appealing to me the dual life of Thompson.  There was the character of Hunter S. Thompson or Raul Duke and the real Thompson.  Somehow he managed to bring both to life.  I’m also a fan of Chuck Palahniuk and his works.

Have you ever read a book more than once?
I've read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas multiple times.
Would you like to share any other stories or books that you have written?
I’ve written a book of poetry, “The Wind Changed as I Lay Dying.”  It is a collection of eighty-nine poems that come straight from the heart.
Who designed the cover of your book?
I design my own covers.
What are your thoughts on book trailers?
Most of them are crap.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
WRITE!
What is the best advice that you have ever been given when it comes to writing?
WRITE!
Coffee or tea?
Tea
One of your favorite quotes
"They'll never take me alive!" - My Dad
List 3 of your all time favorite movies?
Forrest Gump, Back to the Future, Rocky
List 3 More Movies:
Tombstone, The Big Lebowski, Office Space
What projects do you have planned for the future?
I’m working on several novels and I plan on self-publishing them soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Enthralling!

By 
Brennan Huff "M. Ingram" (Crosby, Texas United States) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Apolo Drakuvich (The Lost Souls of San Pinto) (Kindle Edition)
My wife recently got this book for her Kindle; and it is fantastic! I quickly got pulled in to the world of Apolo Drakuvich and was mesmerized. It's the kind of book you still keep thinking about even hours after you put it down. Apolo's journey is raw, dark and moving, told in a refreshingly direct way that both entertains and enthralls. I highly recommend this book!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...