Saturday, September 27, 2014

Author Interview - Michael Tavon - Kevin "Dookie" Harris, whom was once voted "Most Likely to Become Famous" by his classmates

When did you discover your gift of writing?
I say when i wrote a fictitious essay entitled "Bin Laden in the Hood", in fifth grade. it proceeded the 9/11 tragedy ,I remember how somber the mood was during that time so I decided pen the essay. My essay brought laughter and joy to the situation . That's when I realized I had the ability to impact people with laughter through words.


What is your preferred genre?
Anything with dark humor , I love it??

How many books have you written?  If more than one, are any a series…or trilogy? So far just one , but I'm currently working on 3 more

Tell us a little about your book?
The moral of my book "Garage Band : The Legend of Dookie Harris " is to never give up on your dream, no matter how old you grow or how crappy life gets. So I'm telling a fictitious story of perseverance
With comedy

Do you have plans for a new book?
Yes I do ,but I'd rather keep that a secret


Is there an Author that you would really like to meet? Well currently not really all of my favorite authors are no longer with us

Was there an Author that inspired your writing? Yes Charles Bukowski ,and James Joyce

Do you plot or write by the seat of your pants?

I like to brainstorm and come up with an outline ,the plot and characters; then I allow my imagination take off from there!


Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?  Hard cover of course!

Are you a self- published (Indie) Author? Yes I am !!


Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?
" The outsiders" one of my favorite films ever

What book are you currently reading? "Women" by Charles Bukowski!

Who designed the cover of your book? A young man named Darius Scott

Do you find yourself intrigued by the cover of a book enough to buy it?
He'll yeah!!!!

Do you have any advice for other writers starting out? Since I'm a "novice" myself , I will tell all my fellow writers don't allow procrastination over power your imagination

Do you write under a pen name?
Yup, Michael Tavon


Do you ever write in your PJ’s?
All the time my super mario pj's are so clutch!

What are your pet peeves?  
I really hate getting stuck walking behind old people , and I dislike loud people and smelly women are a big noooo nooo.


You are trapped on a tropical island - who would you like to be stranded with?
 Zoe Kravitz or Jhene Aiko!!!

Tell us about something that just made your day -
 When I looked in the mirror (laughs)

How many hours per day do you try to devote to research and writing?
 At least 2 hours

What are 3 things you never leave home without (apart from keys, money and phone)?
 Lol well you just named all 3

Sleep in or get up early?
I'm not a morning person at all


Where and when do you prefer to do your writing? In my bed, on the bus , or the beach

Your thoughts on receiving book reviews - the good and the bad -
Honestly I've never received a bad review ,and all the reviews I've received have been so heart warming and I'm forever grateful


Do you have a bucket list?
Yes Get married to Zoe Kravitz ,
Have sex in each country and reenact my favorite scenes from "Coming to America "

One of your favorite quotes –
Wow that's a great one , Just about every quote from "The Wonder Years"

List 3 of your favorite movies?
"Coming to America" , "Sin City", "The Last Dragon"

What is a movie or TV show that you watched just recently and really enjoyed? californication i live that show so much

Where can your readers stalk you?
Both twitter and Instagram @michaeltavon
And in goodreads too


Is your book in Print, ebook or both? Both

Do you give free ebooks away in exchange for honest reviews?
Yes I do!

Book links:


Amazon paperback


Book Description : Depressed and down to his last hair of hope, Kevin "Dookie" Harris, whom was once voted "Most Likely to Become Famous" by his classmates, is now a part-time sales clerk, and an on-again-off-again father. He spends his downtime drinking until his knees buckle, while singing karaoke in the local bars; trying to live out what's left of his rock star dreams. After a day of shame and self-pity, he arrives home and receives a letter that will change his life...

He attends his 20-year class reunion, where he reunites with his former band mates and best friends for the first time since they dismantled. After a magical night of singing drunken karaoke, the band decides to reassemble, and pursue their dreams of becoming rich and famous.

Take a tour through the life of Dookie Harris, and read a humorous tale of love, struggle, failure…and ultimate success.


5* Book review by Ranger 
“Garage Band : The Legend of Dookie Harris” is one of those heartwarming tales of human frailties and strengths, failures and triumphs, hope and despair, that makes you smile, laugh, and cry, all at once. The book is quite unique as it can only be described as a “funny tearjerker”.

While I laughed hard at the antics of our hero, Kevin “Dookie” Harris and his wonderfully fun friends, Ronnie, Donald and the hilarious Hasheeb, I couldn't help feeling sad at the same time about the constant failures and dejection faced by our friends, especially Kevin.

Kevin “Dookie” Harris could be any of us, a high school kid, seemingly full of promise, but because of a couple of poor decisions in his youth, ends up as a minimum wage helper at Wal-Mart at 39 – showing, there's a very thin line between success and failure.
But fortunately, this book isn't just about despair and bad luck, it's also about faith, redemption, true friendship and loyalty – and finally with a triumphant happy end .Proving that even the most unfortunate do not stay down forever, there is always an escape route, and you just have to look for it.



Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world.  I hope you share this interview with your friends so we can all get to know you a little better

And thank you for allow me this opportunity .


Please support authors and post this blog on facebook and twitter. Many thanks, Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...