Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Author Interview – Patricia Daly-Lipe, author of A CRUEL CALM, Paris Between the Wars


Book Description from Amazon: "Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all -well, yes and no. Read A CRUEL CALM's view of this age old dilemma." ~ Rita Mae Brown, author of eleven novels and two time Emmy Award nominee.
A CRUEL CALM, Paris Between the Wars, is a moving love story set in the era between World Wars I and II, a time of idealism and innovation when Paris was the cultural capital of the Western World. Politics, religion and social mores determine the fate of Elisabeth, a young Catholic socialite from Washington, D.C., as she learns whether it is only after great sorrow that love can come again. 
A CRUEL CALM brings Paris society and culture alive as Elisabeth experiences the aftermath of the first world war while mingling with writers, artists and socialites such as Gertrude Stein, James Joyce, Virginia Woolf, Coco Chanel, Joseph Campbell and Ernest Hemingway. With the omen of a new world war brewing, this is a story replete with historical detail, universal conflict, and forbidden love.


What inspired you to start writing, and when? Inspiration is an excellent term for it connotes writing coming from within (as from the heart). My writing has always been creative and inspired, from childhood through school and college and beyond by who and what is around me. After college, I wrote for newspapers and magazines. It was after I had “inspired” students in a creative writing course in Annapolis that I was advised by Richard Lederer to convert the course into a book. Hence my book ‘MYTH, MAGIC and METAPHOR, A Journey into the Heart of Creativity’ was published. Since then, all my books have come as a result of someone or something calling for my experiences to be put into print.
What is your preferred genre? All my books are a different genre, but A CRUEL CALM is historical fiction. That allowed the facts to come together in a story that could not be verified completely but allowed a view of the past from a personal perspective.
How many books have you written?  If more than one, are any a series…or trilogy? I have written eight books which includes one which I revised with additional material. They are all of a different genre.
Tell us a little about your book. This is the story of my mother’s life. She died when I was only 18 and did not tell me about her life before I was born. I spent 14 years researching. My second language is French, so I was able to interview people in Paris who knew either my mother or the era, 1927-1939, during which she resided in Paris. I also was able to interview a gentleman who had worked on the Spirit of St. Louis in San Diego. He gave me information about the famous flight of Charles Lindbergh. My mother was at le Bourget Aeroport when he landed.  I read James Joyce so that when he spoke to the protagonist (aka my mother), he was speaking in his own voice. Other writers and artists also speak in their own voice as a result of my research.
Do you have plans for a new book? Having just completed two books in the past two years, I am taking a bit of time out.  A CRUEL CALM is being developed into a feature by LITTLE STUDIO FILMS. I also have presentations coming up for which I need to prepare, especially one (about my book PATRIOT PRIEST) which I shall be giving just prior to Pope Francis’ arrival at Catholic University in Washington, DC.
Is there an Author that you would really like to meet? James Joyce! 


Was there an Author that inspired your writing? In my book MYTH, MAGIC and METAPHOR, I give many examples of different modes of writing. But the bottom line is listen to your heart. Do not listen to others or try to copy another author. Everyone is unique. Everyone has his or her own voice. 


Do you plot or write by the seat of your pants? I think about my writing, my individual project, then, based upon the genre, I plunge into whatever aspects the writing requires. Some can be from “the seat of my pants.” Others require research.


Did you have an editor edit your books? I have had editors read and recommend changes, but not for all my books. The La Jolla book (La Jolla, A Celebration of Its Past) came from articles I wrote for La Jolla Village News/ Beach and Bay Press. The publisher read the articles from a period of over two years and asked if these articles could be made into a book. It took a year to condense the articles since my articles comprised over 500 pages and the publisher only wanted 200 pages including photographs. So yes, there is more to be published about La Jolla.
Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover? Paperbacks…I like turning the page and paperback books are less expensive. But for a cherished book, I always buy hard cover.
Where do you prefer to buy your books? Often my books come from Amazon.com, but I love roaming bookstores, especially stores where used books are also available.
Are you a self- published (Indie) Author? Two of my books were self published: ‘ALL ALONE, Washington to Rome’ and ‘Messages from Nature’. The latter is a collection of short stories published in various magazines over the years. A CRUEL CALM just got republished by ROCK IT PRESS.
What books would you like to read again? The work of Dostoyevsky, Phyllis Whitney, Toni Morrison,… oh my, in my library, I am surrounded with classics and never tire of rereading them!   
Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version? Green Mansions
What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)? Hardcover: ‘OLGA RUDGE & EZRA POUND by Anne Conover
Who designed the cover of your book? Me! With the help of my husband who took the photo from what we believe was my mother’s apartment on the Île St. Louis. Quite a story there, but save for another time.
Do you find yourself intrigued by the cover of a book enough to buy it?  no
Do you have any advice for other writers starting out? Feel a passion for your subject and write. Do not share with anyone; finish it completely; then put it away for a few days before you reread it and have some objectivity. Finally, make changes you feel needed ---all this before you hand over your work to an editor.
Do you write under a pen name? no
Do you ever write in your PJ’s? no
What are your pet peeves? Noise, especially my dogs barking and asking that I check the front door and then find no one there!


You are trapped on a tropical island - who would you like to be stranded with? My husband!


Pick one - Wine, Chocolate or shoes? Wine


Cats or dogs? dogs


Tell us about someone or something that just made your day – Having Alexia Melocchi of LITTLE STUDIO FILMS call and ask if I would like to have my book made into movie!
What is your favorite food and beverage? The real Caesar salad (with anchovies) and  chai tea latte
How many hours per day do you try to devote to research and writing? Varies from all day to a couple of hours
What are 3 things you never leave home without (apart from keys, money and phone)? Proper attire, credit card, and pen
Sleep in or get up early? 8 AM  (could be considered early?)
Laptop or desktop for writing? desktop
Your favorite gadget? Remote control for the garage door
Where and when do you prefer to do your writing? In my library at home and in the morning (after I take care of my horses)
Your thoughts on receiving book reviews - the good and the bad -  They either confirm a job well done or give me incentive to improve unless, as in some cases, the reader did not understand the content.
Do you have a bucket list? My bucket is overflowing with wishes but the way the world is these days, most are on hold!
One of your favorite quotes – Inspiration is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein
List 3 of your favorite movies? The Wizard of Oz, ET, The Sound of Music
What is a movie or TV show that you watched just recently and really enjoyed? Madame Secretary
Where can your readers stalk you? www.literarylady.com
Is your book in Print, ebook or both? both

AMAZON - HERE

Author Biography
Although born in La Jolla, California, Patricia spent an equal amount of time living on the other coast in Washington, D.C., the home of several generations of her mother's family. In 1961, her mother died of cancer. Patricia was only 18. She returned to Vassar College with a year at the Catholic University of Louvain, Belgium, and earned a B.A. degree in Philosophy.

Later, as a single parent of three children, she and her young family raised, raced (winning at Santa Anita, Hollywood Park, Del Mar, and Golden Gate), and showed Thoroughbred horses. After her children were grown, she completed a Masters degree followed by a PhD specializing in Creative Arts and Communication. 

For several years, Dr. Daly taught English and writing to University students and adults, wrote for several magazines, and had a newspaper column with Beach and Bay Press. She now gives talks on a myriad of subjects.

Patricia now lives in Virginia with her husband Steele Lipe, MD, three dogs, two horses, and two cats, all rescues (except husband). She is the author of five books two of which have her paintings on the covers. She is past President of the National League of American Pen Women, La Jolla Branch and recently, of the DC Branch. Patricia was a 2002 winner of the San Diego Book Awards Association, recipient of the 2004 Woman of Achievement Award from NLAPW, Best Books Award Finalist, 1st runner up trophy winner of JADA Award Winning Novel Contest in 2006, VIP for Cambridge Who's Who, 2009 Golden Nib Award winner for Poetry and more. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...